Skip to main content

TO CARD . . . OR NOT TO CARD?

KITTY LOVES CHOCOLATE
4 1/2" x 4 1/2" pastel
SOLD - PRIVATE COLLECTOR

The other day I was in a store being assisted by a 
young clerk, who requested to see my drivers license.
I told her that it was current with the exception of a new
post office box number, for my former post office
was one of the closed casualties. At that point the young
girl commented how she got a small group of friends to
start sending each other letters and cards, for it was such a
thrill to receive something!

Which in turn started me thinking . . . 

With technology, everyone is tuned in, to every facet imaginable.
But how many actually observe the events posted in Facebook?
I haven't.
 So it's really has become an unique experience to open
one's home mailbox and receive mail. To actually hold
 something in one's hands, makes an individual stop and really
observe a special occasion.

So how many artists out there, still send out promotional
post cards for shows? I do, which has resulted in sales prior
to many openings. At times to personalize even more, I
handwrite the addresses rather than use preprinted labels.




Comments

  1. Good for YOU Susan!!! It is becomiing a lost art - and yet the personal connection that is acheived with your style of direct marketing is very special. It has gone the way of hand-written thank you notes, invitations and just letters of friendly connection - but the pendulum is swinging and perhaps more hand-written postal service communicatons will return!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il est toujours très agréable de recevoir et d'envoyer des courriers...
    malheureusement aujourd'hui cela devient de plus en plus rare.
    Lors de mes vernissages j'essaie de faire en sorte d'envoyer le maximum de mes invitation via la poste...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! An invitation in the hand is worth several online. I, too, hand address my postcards when I have them, but that's because my printer doesn't use waterproof ink and the address labels can smear in the rain! I follow up with an email invitation as well as a post on Facebook. Gotta cover all the bases.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER PASTEL CLASSES!

PINK FIELDS 12" x 9" pastel on canvas panel PRIVATE COLLECTOR I'm teaching "Introduction to Pastels" once again  at UCSD Extension this summer and will be covering  a whole array of techniques from washes, to layering  and strokes and in various genres. "PINK FIELDS" was  the demo piece in illustrating washes on textured panels  in an impressionistic style.  So if you want to learn more on this medium, as well  as have a barrel of fun, please click here to read more  and sign up.

Approaching Workshop at New Mexico Art League

Workshop!    Quickly approaching is my 4-days workshop on Painting the Light of New Mexico at the New Mexico Art League in Albuquerque. Will be working on sunny days with white clouds to rain clouds and sunsets. Will definitely be fun! For more information please click here. Evening + Red Glow 2 - soft pastel

Sold! GLOW, by Susan Roden

GLOW 11" x 14" soft pastel SOLD - private collector So nice this pastel went to a wonderful home! Now I'll live in my memories of the Petrified Forest  National Park, where I did a residency and was  the inspiration for this painting. Thank you!