Skip to main content

BLUE HAIR?!

BLUE HAIR
8"h x7"w pastel on canson paper
12" square archival white mat, no glass nor frame
$55 + $5 insured priority shipping
I just LOVE being an artist, for I can justify
everything I create . . .  and just because.

And who says I can't make blue hair?
Pretty punk, huh?

Actually this was a sample for my upcoming
classes at UCSD Extension. Blue Hair is an old 
sketch which I drew from life, so decided to play 
with it. Previously, the features of the young girl 
were undistinguishable, so I blended, drew, 
washed and stroked for the above piece. 

Oh . . .  for the record my pastels I exhibit are 
never blended. I create them by extensive layering 
and will cover this technique as well.

Comments

  1. If you hadn't pointed out the blue hair, I wouldn't have even registered in my mind that it was blue. It fits the portrait and helps create the overall mood. It's a beautiful creative piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof positive that old paintings can--for any number of reasons--be reworked or altered. Exciting effects that imply youth, joy, curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec Katherine, je ne les vois pas vos cheveux bleus. Je ne vois que l'émotion que traduit ce merveilleux portrait.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments!
    Sarah since I work primarily in pastels with extensive layering, generally can not rework. But since this was such a loose sketch, went to town.
    Katherine I always enjoy hearing from you - thanks!
    And Alison, I have to admit I really do not understand half of what you write, but love it! One of my sisters is traveling to France for 3 months - hoping she gives me some insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this piece. Those electric pink touches really knock it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful mark making! Love the hits of fushia.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sold! GLOW, by Susan Roden

GLOW 11" x 14" soft pastel SOLD - private collector So nice this pastel went to a wonderful home! Now I'll live in my memories of the Petrified Forest  National Park, where I did a residency and was  the inspiration for this painting. Thank you!

BLAZING RED

GLOW 11"h x 14"w pastel black with gold trim frame sold -   private collector Night fell fast. The lower half of a thick strand of dark clouds turned blazing-red from the sun as it dropped to the horizon. And the night glowed.

FRIDAY BREAK

2 + A HOLE 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" pastel 8" square white archival matte, glass + gold leaf frame PRIVATE COLLECTOR It's been a long week getting everything together for the opening of Frayed , so decided I needed a sweet treat to chill out. Nothing like a frosted donut which is always so yummy! When I was young my Mother used to make homemade donuts, which is indescribable. At that time my sister and 3 brothers fought over the "holes", which were a perfect one-bite affair that always melted in our mouths. Those were the days!