Skip to main content

TRAVELS AT THE FOREST


RAINDROPS COMING
4 1/2" x 4 1/2" pastel
white archival matte, glass + petite gold leaf frame
SOLD - PRIVATE COLLECTOR
Even though it was a sunny day in San Diego, I begun to reminisce of my last September residency at the Petrified Forest National Park. And you guessed it - this was a day it rained! (similar to Catalina Island, huh?)

Here I was looking up at the blue, blue sky of San Diego and my mind begun to travel. I was seated and working on a pastel on my featherlight easel on the Painted Desert Rim Trail that stretches between Tawa and Kachina Points. The trail is about one mile in length and had views of the Painted Desert and the woodland rim. That day there were fabulous, white clouds in a rich blue sky, so I decided to create a woodland rim painting. I was so absorbed with the scene and then out of nowhere, huge dark clouds erupted. But what was so strange, is that the blue of the sky didn't darken and in matter of 10 minutes raindrops begun to fall. I had to collect my pastels and make a mad dash out of there. Kind of hard to hustle-up a hill with a mile-long jaunt with a backpack, stool, easel, and art supplies, but off I went.

And the whole time the sky was blue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sold! GLOW, by Susan Roden

GLOW 11" x 14" soft pastel SOLD - private collector So nice this pastel went to a wonderful home! Now I'll live in my memories of the Petrified Forest  National Park, where I did a residency and was  the inspiration for this painting. Thank you!

BLAZING RED

GLOW 11"h x 14"w pastel black with gold trim frame sold -   private collector Night fell fast. The lower half of a thick strand of dark clouds turned blazing-red from the sun as it dropped to the horizon. And the night glowed.

FRIDAY BREAK

2 + A HOLE 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" pastel 8" square white archival matte, glass + gold leaf frame PRIVATE COLLECTOR It's been a long week getting everything together for the opening of Frayed , so decided I needed a sweet treat to chill out. Nothing like a frosted donut which is always so yummy! When I was young my Mother used to make homemade donuts, which is indescribable. At that time my sister and 3 brothers fought over the "holes", which were a perfect one-bite affair that always melted in our mouths. Those were the days!